Deepalaya School - Gole Kuan
Location : Near F-33, Okhla Industrial Area, Phase I, New Delhi
Contact Person : Ms Poonam Thakur
Contact Number : 011-26810295
Commenced From : 1999
Funding Agency : Mentor Graphics
Beneficiary Number : 317 as on July 2011
Annual Budget : Rs 19,00,000
Number of Teachers: 11
Student Teacher Ratio: 30:1
Deepalaya School Gole Kuan is one of the first six formal schools of Deepalaya which was established with an aim to provide quality education to the children who are socially and economically deprived and cannot afford high educational costs. Special emphasis was given on girl child education.
The formal school which runs classes from LKG (Lower Kindergarten) to Class VIII operates from 8am to 2:15 pm. The school starts with morning prayers, which is followed by Physical Training exercises (PT), class activities like recitation, speech etc. The medium of instruction is English and the school follows National Council for Educational Research and Training (NCERT) and the centralize syllabus of all the six formal schools.
The children study to acquire Certifications of Open Basic Education (OBE), conducted by the National Institute of Open Schooling (NIOS), approved by the Ministry of Human Resource Development (HRD), Government of India in classes III, V and VIII. Besides the NIOS exams, the school conducts two terminal examinations with 4 unit tests over the year.
The school has a well equipped library comprising of comics, story books, reference books and autobiographies catering to the need of students.
Moving in pace with the fast changing technological world, the school also has a computer lab. The students are imparted computer trainings to keep up with modern times.
To update the parents about their ward’s development, regular parent teacher meetings are conducted every month. Apart from these meetings the teachers make regular house visits and also meet parents at school for any special needs of the child.
- In 2010-2011, 284 (124 girls and 160 boys) new students were enrolled in the school.
- Emphasis is also laid on co-curricular activities so that children not only acquire academic learning, but also vocational proficiency, personal character and societal values.
- Students are encouraged to interact in English in classroom and amongst each other. Encouraged above 5th standard children to involve in any ongoing English development programs.
- The number of school dropouts was reduced by 4 percent.
- The attendance in the school also improved. The weekly attendance of the students stood at 80-85%.
- Various activities like inter-house competitions are organized in school to bring out hidden talent of the children
- Children participate in Eco-club activities, inter Deepalaya School quiz competition.