Education on Wheels
As the name suggests, Education on Wheels or EOW is a unique programme where the school comes home. The programme has a well equipped bus funded by Edukans, with computers, TV and other education related material. This unique model was introduced by Deepalaya in the year 2006 to reach out to children living in vulnerable circumstances. The innovative program is successful in providing multi-grade teaching to children of different ages and levels through special methods and techniques to make learning enjoyable.
The staff works closely with the community and conducts regular parent teacher meetings and home visits to create awareness and
The mobile van covers four different locations in North Delhi-Bhadolla, Haiderpur, Sanjay Gandhi Transport Nagar and Wazirpur. EOW runs eight Non-Formal Education classes and 6 Remedial Education Centres. The bus starts at 8 am and continues until late evening to reach out to the maximum number of children. Teachers use flash cards, art and craft activity, games, story telling methods, role-plays, ice-breaking exercises, educational CD's and other joyful means to make the teaching sessions more interesting and attractive for the children.
- A total of 663 children attended the non formal education conducted in the bus at all four locations. Moreover 157 children attended remedial classes.
- In 2010-2011, 24 children were mainstreamed in Sarvodaya Schools by online registration
- In January 2011, English Access Programme was launched for EOW children. 65 students studying in different schools are attending the programme regularly at Haiderpur location
- In 2010-11, 23 out of the 29 children enrolled in OBE gave examination and passed out with flying colours
- 323 Visits were made to 560 neighborhood schools and 503 teachers/Principals were met with for monitoring the attendance and progress of mainstreamed children.
- Life skill training was regularly given to children benefiting a total of 996 students in all.