Friends of Deepalaya, Germany
Friends of Deepalaya, Germany is the sister-charity of Deepalaya, an NGO that operates in Delhi, Uttar Pradesh, Haryana and Uttaranchal. German citizens can use this channel to send aid to thousands of underprivileged children in India while taking the advantage of the tax-exemption facilities for their donations in Germany
Friends of Deepalaya was started by a group of five people who were planning a trip to India and wanted to distribute gifts to the needy. After reaching India, they approached Deepalaya and were met by Mr. T.K. Mathew (CEO, Deepalaya), who after seeing the amount of gifts, suggested that they distribute them to the students in person. The experience of meeting the students and seeing the work that Deepalaya was doing for children from poor families moved the group to lend financial aid.
The group set up a bank account in Germany and over the years organised several fund raisers within their community. As the number of supporters and the size of the financial aid increased, the idea that started off as a pooled bank account slowly graduated to the founding of a legally registered charity in Germany.
All the donations are made to Deepalaya Foundation by contacting Mr. Alfons Ruetter, who then transfers the amount to a common fund. The financial aid is then re-distributed to whichever project is facing a deficit.
The projects run under the purview of Deepalaya are –
- Several formal and non-formal schools in Delhi, Haryana, Uttar Pradesh and Uttarakhand that provide education to children belonging to vulnerable categories and from underprivileged backgrounds
- Vocational training centres that impart employable skills to the youth
- A Special Unit that caters to differently-abled children and seeks to help rise above their physical and mental limitations
- Institutional Care Centre in Gusbethi, Haryana that provides shelter, education and healthcare to the street children, run-away children, children of sex workers and children from abusive families
- A Gender Resource Centre that was formed in participation with the Indian Government under the PPP model. This project conducts community awareness campaigns and vocational training to promote gender equality among men and women.
- An umbrella Health project under which are run several health awareness campaigns and a mini hospital in Gusbethi. The mini hospital provides health check ups to the community and conducts cataract surgeries on the elderly.
Please bear in mind that the members of Friends of Deepalaya, Germany are no full time employees of Deepalaya. Therefore, please direct all general inquiries to the Deepalaya Office in New Delhi, India.
Registered Address & Correspondence Address
Foerderverein Deepalaya Niederrhein e.V.
C/o Mr. Alfons Ruetter
47546 Kalkar, Germany
Mr. Alfons Ruetter